Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reflective Journal - 7th week

This week I focused more on the listening activity for the students. I did a listening activity using a song by Pink entitled ‘Family Portrait’. I chose the song because I think that the song filled with moral values that I can inculcate to the students.

I was very excited to conduct the lesson as I expect them to enjoy the song and also the cute video clip that I downloaded from YouTube. However, after one minute the video clip played they seem bored already. Some of them started to do other things. They don’t even impress with the dramatic scene from the video clip.
I felt very frustrated but I tried my very best to attract their attention by asking them some questions about the songs. I realized that they don’t really like the song. Nevertheless, after sometime they started to follow the lesson well when it comes to cut and paste activity. Obviously they love playing with paper and glue!

Thus, before I end the lesson I asked them who are their favourite English artist and what their favourite English songs are. They seem to be so confused and don’t know what to answer. Then I realize that they don’t really listen to English songs. They are not exposed to that kind of song. They prefer songs in their mother tongue or in Bahasa Melayu. Most of their favourite artist is from Indonesia.
Therefore, next time if I want to do songs activities maybe I should just use simple songs like nursery  rhymes? I wonder if that going to work. Sigh.


0 comments: